Thursday, March 6, 2008

American Idol - Girls

Here goes my summary of the girls' performances last night.  I would never have dreamt that Brooke would have picked Pat Benetar (not as rocking of a version) and silly me, I didn't think of Joan Jett for Amanda.  I should have known!

So, with that, I'll start out with Amanda.  Yes, I thought she did a great job on the Joan Jett song but I don't see her selling millions of records as the "American Idol" this year but she can do great cover songs for other artists that have similar raspy voices.

I thought Asia'h Epperson did a fine job on the Whitney Houston song, "I Wanna Dance with Somebody."  In fact, I thought she sounded just like her.  I wasn't crazy about that song when it came out and am still not but she did sing it well.

Next is one of my favorites, Brooke White.  I thought she did a great job on "Love is a Battlefield" and actually made it her own and didn't merely copy the original.  She is so likable that she better make it to the top 12.

Of course, Carly Smithson is my other favorite and I loved her performance of "Drove All Night."  Of course, I really like the song and I feel Carly by far has the best voice.

As you can tell, I love a lot of the songs from 80's night, I guess because I'm so familiar with them.  Another one of those songs are "Faithfully" by Journey.  I thought it was a very smart move of Kristy Lee Cook to put a country flavor on the song but it's hard to compete with the original.

Ramiele Malubay's performance of "Against All Odds" was good  but a little boring and it didn't stand out.  

Syesha Mercado's performance of Whitney Houston's song was very good and like Asia'h's performance it sounded just like Whitney which, of course, with this song says a lot more than the fast beat tune of Asia'h's pick.  I think it was to Syesha's advantage that the judge's seemed to be running out of time and weren't able to critique her to the extent that the others had been.  I think she'll make it to the top 12.

Finally there's Kady Malloy which I was not impressed with.  I feel like she had pitch problems throughout and wasn't up to par with some of the others.

So folks, this is a harder prediction for me than the boys.  But if I had to choose who I feel like should be going home tonight, I would have to go with Amanda (big surprise) and Kady Malloy.  However, I think Amanda's performance may have pulled her into the top 12 so I'm predicting that Kady and possibly Asia'h will be going home.  You never know though, I feel like Ramiele may at risk as well.  We'll see tonight!

No comments: