Monday, June 30, 2008

Fish Market









Well, I've gotten a little lazy since we made the trip home on Saturday so I haven't posted in a few days.  So, I'll write about the last day in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach.  Basically, Michael and the girls hung out at the beach and we went to a pizza joint for lunch that was located at "The Wharf."  This is a neat place that a giant ferris wheel and shopping area.  The girls received their "Build-a-Bears" they were promised by their daddy if they were good (we're not above bribery).  

We then saw "Wall-E" at the movie theatre there and it was cute.  There was no real scary parts in the movie which was great for Meredith.  Basically it was a political type movie that made fun of humans and how they trash the earth and a cleaning robot that was left on earth to clean up the trash falls for a modern robot sent to earth to check out if life can be sustained there again.  You see, all of the humans have been shipped to outerspace on a cruise like spaceship due to the clutter.  The humans that live on the aircraft cannot walk and are all fat due to the fact that all they do is sit in their flying seats and watch their individual tv screens and talk to friends, play games, etc.  You get the drift.  It was a cute movie but I think Michael got a little bored with it.  I found it more entertaining though then some of the Strawberry Shortcake movies that I have sat through if that makes you feel any better. 

Following the movie we then headed back to the condo for a couple of hours before Michael sent Hannah and I to pick up some fresh steamed red shrimp "royal reds" at what I thought was just a restaurant that only did take out.  Well, when Hannah and I walked in the joint I discovered it was really a fish market and the smell was pretty strong (Hannah was gagging if that gives you any indication).  Oh yeah, did I mention that we were the only gals there that were unaccompanied and they didn't take credit cards.  Okay, if you know me, I rarely carry much cash so I had to write a check.  Am I the only one that feels weird writing a check for anything other than paying bills?  I always feel like they think I'm writing a hot check so after waiting in line in a fish market/bait place that stunk with a bunch of men I had to order a bunch of ugly red shrimp and write a check.  Oh yeah, did I mention there was a tip jar by the cash register that everyone was leaving tips in, but of course, I couldn't because, as I mentioned before, I had no cash.  So, as we waited for our shrimp to be steamed I realized I forgot to purchase cocktail sauce so when it was ready I had the opportunity to write another large check for $3.27 for cocktail sauce.  (at least that time he didn't ask for id).  So, Hannah and I then drove back to the condo with the windows open to let the air in to hide the smell.  The good news is that the shrimp were really good and Hannah was brave enough to shell and eat a steamed shrimp for the first time in her life.


No comments: