Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Trip to Nature Center







Today our adventure (besides swimming lessons) was to head to the Nature Center here in town and go to the "critter feeding" at 2 p.m.  My friend Trish and her son Jedidiah also went on the adventure with us.  Okay, now when I saw "critter feeding" I must say that I was envisioning feeding squirrels, ducks, birds, etc.  So, when we arrived and I saw the look on Trish's face in the lobby I knew something was amiss.  Sure enough the worker lady was standing there in the lobby with a container of live mice and we were heading off to feed their snakes in their aquariums.  Now keep in mind that the Entertainment magazine specifically said that snake feedings were on Friday so I fully wasn't expecting this scenario.  So, I then proceeded to ask Meredith if she wanted to see them feed snakes live mice and she answered with an excited "yeah" to my surprise.  When Trish asked Jedidiah he responded likewise.  I knew Alli wouldn't care so I didn't even bother to ask her.  So here we are with our young children watching the lady first feed the King Snake which is a non-venomous snake but it is still a constrictor (which I did not know) wrap around the poor little mouse and as the lady explained how it suffocates the mouse and breaks its ribs before it eats it.  Nice.  We then watched two rattlesnakes strike their respected mice and wait for them to die and eat them.  Next week Trish and I plan to take the kids hunting so they can really get a feel of death and nature and how it all works.  (Just kidding, in case you don't know my sense of humor.)  I've included some pics of our adventure along with the kids fishing for stuffed fish with magnets (which is my kind of fishing).  I have a really great picture of the rattlesnake swallowing up the mouse but I thought a lot of people wouldn't want to see it so I'm not including it.  I do have picture that shows the king snake getting the mouse but it's not too gory.  I'm sure you all are thrilled.  Oh yes, in case you're wondering what my girls are doing in the bird pictures they are pretending they are baby birds sticking their heads out of their birdhouse.  

I also wanted to tell you that don't know this already that if you want to see a picture larger on the blog that you just have to click on it and it will show up bigger.  When you're done looking at the picture just click on your back arrow at the top of your screen and it will take you back to the full blog screen.

No comments: