Friday, September 19, 2008

Black Widow

We had an exciting event at the household today.  When I brought up the trash cans from the street to put them back in the garage I noticed a little black spider hanging out in its web next to 3 egg sacks.  So, I took a closer look and noticed a little red dot on its abdomen.  I then thought to myself, nah, that couldn't be.  So I, of course, took the girls inside and went immediately to my computer to look at pictures of spider and sure enough, it was a black widow!  My friend Trish told me that she had found a couple of them outside her house under some rocks in the landscaping so I knew they were around here but I was just hoping they weren't around our house and I guess I was wrong.  So, being that Michael is out of town (of course) I went and got the bug killer spray and sprayed about half the container on that sucker along with the web, eggs, and anything else in that vicinity.  It turns out that black widows do get kind of a bad wrap.  They, indeed, are one of the most venomous spiders in the U.S.  However, if they do bite a human, they inject only a small amount, if any, of venom and usually people don't even have to go to the emergency room if they are bit unless they notice disturbing symptoms with it.  Therefore, the lovely brown fiddleback spider is much more dangerous then a black widow.  I have decided though that I really don't want to have the little creature hanging around here because knowing my luck, it would decide to unload all its venom on me.  Now that I've educated you on black widows, I took some pictures of the dead spider to show you that I have proof.


4 comments:

The 4-Crows Blog said...

Hi! I met you at Carlee's party. That spider is huge and those sac's are different than regular spiders. I'll be on the lookout for sure! ShaRhonda Crow

Anonymous said...

Too funny. Who knew we had so much in common with pests! Maybe Michael should go into that business as well?!

amy said...

ewww, ewww, and more ewww! =)

Sandra said...

Yikes! You are much braver than I am- No way I would have gotten close enough to take pictures! We had one last summer and I promptly called for reinforcements :)