Friday, August 17, 2007

Kindergarten Open House

The big night finally came. On Thursday night we got to find out who Meredith's kindergarten teacher was going to be and take her to see her classroom. She was so excited all day long and was thrilled with her new class and her teacher. Me, on the other hand, was a little depressed as far as how much elementary school has changed from my days. I was disappointed to find out that no talking was alowed at lunchtime in the cafeteria and that they are not allowed to celebrate birthdays. I guess the days of parties at every holiday and birthday are over. I asked about the procedure for meeting my child for lunch and they said that was fine to bring something in and you can eat out in the hall with your child (I guess so you can talk). I know they have reasons but it all seems a little institutionalized if you ask me. Another wake up call to me was waiting in line for a shirt behind a father that was wearing a Corona shirt and probably never tought anything of it. I guess that's the real world. Does anyone have blinders and ear muffs I can send my child to school with? The good news is that her teacher seemed very nice and the classroom is very cute and I'm probably worrying too much because this is my sweet sensitive first born (yes, I know I'm biased).

I'll keep you posted on Monday on how it goes and I'll post her cute little picture on her first day of school.

3 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

The no talking thing threw me for a loop too. Just ask Doug sometime about his experience with our open houses, etc. He'll make you laugh. see ya Sunday

Emily said...

I'm praying for you girl! I can imagine this is a big transition. She will do great and you will too. Can't wait to see pictures...

Anonymous said...

Here's the elementary teacher point of view, (since you asked and all): With all the kids in the cafeteria, if a kid were to choke, and everyone were talking...we would have a hard time knowing. I hope that gives you some peace of mind. It's not just cause we are mean! : )