Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dave Ramsey

Sorry it's taken me a little while to post again this time.  Michael and I went to Las Vegas over the weekend where he had a work trip and then the girls and I spent time with my family in Broken Arrow during our Spring Break.  I'll put posts of those trips up in the next couple of days.
Anyway, I wanted to share with you all about a class Michael and I are taking at our church and it's a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace class.  I'm sure most of you have heard of Dave Ramsey from his radio shows and commentary on TV news shows, but if not, he gives great financial advice.  It is such a simple concept and that is to stay out of debt and to save, save, save.  He encourages using cash and an envelope system and when your cash is gone for a particular thing, it's gone.  Now granted, I do feel like I need to apply for a concealed weapon permit when I leave the bank with the cash but normally, you don't carry all of the envelopes with you at one time.  Now, I must say that Michael and I are truly blessed that we are not cursed with a lot of debt but we thought that this class would help us keep it that way and also help us not spend as much money on junk, which in turn would allow us to save for our future more effectively.  Depending on your income, Dave encourages you to either have a $500 or $1000 reserve for emergencies so you don't have to resort to those dreaded credit cards.  He also says that if you need help to get to the goal you need to sell "stuff" that is not necessary.  We all are in possession of that kind of "stuff" - electronics, unused toys, etc. and it's amazing how quickly it adds up.  If you want to inquire further, you can click here to get to his website.  I would encourage those that need help financially to go to his website and inquire as to the closest class that is offered and take it!  I believe everyone (including myself) must remember that when we save and spend our children are watching us as well and the class will help guide you and show how we can truly be good stewards with our money as God intends.  

2 comments:

The 4-Crows Blog said...

Vegas/Dave Ramsey what a combination....LOL! Did you win enough to pay & save?

amy said...

yeah, maybe you could win enough to fund your emergency fund! me and dave....love/hate, i think. but he's good, and he's not worried about money, now is he? =)