Monday, December 1, 2008

All I want for Christmas is. . . . .


As I'm sure most of you know, my sweet Meredith had a rather unpleasant day at school on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.  She was up late Monday night first of all coughing so I gave her some powerful cough medicine so she could sleep since nothing else seemed to work.  I then let her sleep in later and I took her to school around 8:45 a.m. or so.  I then proceeded to take Alli on to preschool and go home and cook a corn casserole for Michael's work's Thanksgiving lunch that day.  So, I take the casserole to the lunch and just fill my plate with yummy food when my cell phone rings.  I look down and see it's her elementary school calling.  Now, you moms know when you see that phone call it's usually not a good thing so I was already prepared for a sick child (I figured she had a coughing spell).  Boy, was I wrong.  It was her principal and she told me that Meredith got her top tooth knocked out at recess and I needed to come pick her up.  I asked her how Meredith was handling it and she said that she was being brave.  So, I gave my yummy plate of food away to Patty and off I went to the school.  Of course, as soon as I walked in the nurses room all braveness went out the window and she cried.  Oh, it was so sad.  She had blood all on her jacket and shirt and two fat lips and a swollen nose that also looked like it had been bleeding.  Apparently she was handing a pair of gloves to her friend that was on the swing and she didn't time the hand off right or didn't account for the girl that was swinging right next to her friend.  You guessed it, she got whacked in the face and knocked on her caboose.  Of course, when I heard swings I thought just your normal playground swings.  But, oh no.  These swings in the back of the playground are something I have never seen before.  I'm sure they're great fun to ride on but not to much to get hit with.  They are made out of metal with some sort of a seat and a platform thing for your feet, I believe, and she got hit with the metal platform thing.  OUCH!  We are so fortunate because she had yet to receive her permanent teeth up top so this was just a baby tooth that got knocked out.  Her other tooth is loose as a result but thank goodness it's still hanging on.  So, since that tooth really wasn't loose prior to this, it may be a while before she has another tooth again.  We tried to look for her tooth on the playground to no avail.  They have a bunch of trees so all of the leaves were on the ground and it was like looking for a needle in a haystack.  So, Meredith wrote a sweet little note to the toothfairy and she got her cash.  It was quite a day.  Here's a picture Michael took with his cell phone but it really doesn't do it justice since she won't show her mouth nor the huge cut on the inside of her lip.  

4 comments:

Trish said...

Awww! Still makes my teeth hurt to think about. That is was terrible!

The 4-Crows Blog said...

Poor Meredith. Did the tooth fairy leave "Fairy Dust"? (glitter) Braden still looks for it and he is almost 8!

Corrie at "Cents"able Momma said...

Poor thing! Do you remember the time we got you to do a Penny Drop on the monkey bars at school and you fell down on your head? I got in trouble for getting you to do it :-).

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I was totally thinking too about that infamous day on the play ground at Indian Springs! I remember you did that penny drop on the those bars that were side by side..and when you came up from your swing, you smacked your head on the other bar. Oh, it was so loud. I remember a teacher walking you to the nurse as you held your head. I felt so bad!